Top 10 Ways To Have A BAD Remodeling Experience
by Chuck Solomon
Be sure to vote for your FAVORITE below!
1. Don’t do any planning — why plan out a project ahead of time, things will all work out in the end.
2. Skip the design — a simple drawing scratched on a napkin is all the detail the builder or contractor will need.
3. Hire an unlicensed contractor — licensed, unlicensed is there really much difference?
4. Don’t thoroughly vet the contractor — the reference letter they presented from 1989 will suffice.
5. Hire your ‘out of work’ cousin Vinny to do the job — he has a couple of tools and seems to know what he’s doing.
6. Ask the clerk at Lowe’s or Home Depot for renovation tips and Do-It-Yourself to save some cash.
7. Try to GC it yourself — you can hire and manage all the subs, after-all you watch a lot of HGTV & DIY Network, how hard can it really be.
8. Skip the building permit — why do we need someone to check over ‘our guys’ work.
9. Skip a written agreement — why would I want to spell out what work should be done in a written contract, we already talked about the project at length.
10. Go with the lowest estimate — after collecting 17 estimates be sure to select the lowest one. This remodeling work is just a commodity isn’t it.
Have another tip? Leave it in the comments section below. Please share this post via the Social Media links above.
*My apologies to anyone named Vinny for item #5. I meant no offense and was loosely attempting to reference an old Joe Pesci comedy!
If you liked this post, please use the social share buttons to share with others. What business challenges are you facing? Let’s start a conversation. Contact me today.